History Page Four

Asenby By-Pass

  • Asenby is fortunate to have good transport links:-

  • the bridge over the River Swale has been a key crossing since at least the 13th Century
  • in 1745 Asenby’s ‘back lane’ became part of the Boroughbridge to Durham Turnpike Road thus avoiding the sharp corners in the main street of the village
  • in 1922 the old turnpike route was designated the A1 but then later the A167 again when the Great North Road reverted to the Leeming route
  • increased traffic prompted protests for a by-pass of Topcliffe and Asenby, which even attracted television coverage
  • the by-pass was finally completed in 1977

    OF INTEREST
    In 1618 “eleven persons of Asenbie fined for not leading four waine-loads of cobblestones for amending of the high waie in the said parish”

In 1650 “the inhabitants of Aizenby fined for not repairing their part of the highway between Burrowbridge and Topcliffe”

Quarter Session Records

In 1923 “we view with the gravest concern the continued indifference ofthe North Riding County Council in dealing with the numerous blind corners and cross-roads under their jurisdiction situated in the township of Asenby. Up to now minor collisions have been frequent and regular. Our lives and that of our stock is daily imperilled with the great increase of heavy traffic on the A1 road and time is not far distant for some very serious and possibly fatal accident to take place”

In 1933 “the footpath is unsafe for school children walking to Topcliffe…..a death trap with present day traffic”(At that time the riverside footpath to Topcliffe was on the opposite side of the road to where it is now).
Asenby Parish Council Minutes

Several Asenby residents complained about the proposed route of the by-pass and the compensation paid to them. One of the casualties of the new by-pass was the petrol station at Asenby Bank Top (next to where Monie Veigh is now). With dwindling passing traffic, the garage closed.
The effect on ‘ordinary’ village residents is described graphically in the following poem written by Maureen Manning who used to live in Stonedelph.

​© 2017 by Synchronised Web Design Ltd